You should have in front of you 52 cards representing key skills you can utilise in your career and four Joker cards.
- 1.Establish three groups – positive, negative and unsure. You can use post-its or pieces of paper if you like.
- 2.Take one card. Read it and decide which group it belongs to:
- Negative – This is a skill I don’t possess, or that I know I have to work on.
- Unsure – I’m unsure whether or not I possess this skill.
- Positive – I already possess this skill.
- Have I been too modest? Are there any skills I should move to the ‘positive’ group?
- Am I being honest with myself? Are there any skills I should move to the ‘negative’ group?
For the remaining skills, choose only a few you would like to develop, if any. They should be skills that are important to you, or that you recognise as being necessary to further your own professional well-being. The development of these skills will be incorporated into your Action Plan by your coach.
If there are skills you recognise within yourself and would particularly like to use which haven’t been mentioned on the skills cards, you can use the Joker cards to represent these so that your coach can take them into account.